Berwick upon Tweed is the most northerly town in England although until 1482 it was involved in a fierce border dispute between the English and Scots. Berwick sits on the bank of the River Tweed which is spanned by three bridges, Old Bridge, the Royal Tweed Bridge, and the Royal Border Bridge.
Berwick was once one of the most prosperous towns in England, its wealth coming from the barley, salmon and wool trades. Berwick’s past as a wealthy market town is reflected in some of the buildings which line its streets.
In 1979 Beamish Museum collected some beautiful tiles from Marshall’s Fish Shop, formerly J.C Cowe Fish and Game Dealer, which once stood at the corner of Marygate and Walkergate. The tiles have been painstakingly restored to their former glory and can now be seen incorporated in to the fish and chip shop at Beamish Museum.